Sunday, April 23, 2006

New Project

Ok. I've been out on a new project for the past month or so, and have been a bit busy to update.

Anyway, it's essentially a 5 month Design phase for significant changes to an existing J2EE project.

Unfortunately, it was coded pretty badly, seeing as only 1 person has been able to log in and use the site at a time. I thought it might have been something to do with WAS configurations, but ruled that out. Interestingly, I did see that two sessions were pointing at the same struts Form instance. Not good. It turned out to be instantiated in an Action class, not the one that was being called, but it's parent.

I found that was also done on another parent Action, which was causing quite a few problems also. Anyway, that should be pretty straightforward to resolve, although it would need a bit of testing to confirm the fix.

There are a couple of things that have left me scratching my head, including:
No Business Layer
No real 'Logical Unit of Work'
No database referential integrity(!)
Business logic living in Stored Procedures
Uses OJB for it's persistence layer.

I'm really not too sure how the thing passed the original suite of tests (well, one person clicking on a few screens!), which is a bit scary.

Hopefully I can get it all sorted out, it seems as though both business units who have a stake in the project can get themselves sorted out, and we can deliver a good outcome.

No comments: