Saturday, August 26, 2006

Angst

I seem to be always caught - The work that I'm doing at the moment is really enjoyable, although sometimes it drives me a little nuts, I'm dealing ok with that most of the time.

I had a review recently, which was quite strange - I was never actually assessed by my manager, no one spoke to my last two project managers, so I'm not too sure what happened there. Anyway, I got a 5% pay rise - And it appears as though I could have been doing a shit job, and still had the same outcome.

I had a suspicion that it was basically a token gesture to keep me on board, which now has been all but confirmed. A good friend and colleague of mine is leaving the company - He is a guru, and has personally been a mentor to me - and I'm now seriously considering what I'm going to do.

Although the meeting seemed positive, I think that I was really caught off guard with the fact that I didn't have to fight (although, you can bet that I wouldn't have been fighting for 5%!). I get the feeling from all the discussions that there is concern at the management level that people are just leaving left right and centre. Obviously that is a worrying sign for them, so I guess this is trying to stem that flow.

My angst mostly comes from seeing job ads, and having my skills and experience listed under $90-100k roles. It might well be time to start applying for those jobs.

No comments: