I've had some fun installing that on my t41 laptop.
I tried the upgrade path a couple of times, once just straight out of the box - which failed miserably. Taking about 90 minutes and getting to around 80% completed before rolling back to XP. Thankfully, XP seemed to be working fine after the rollback.
I searched around, found a site where they reviewed their experiences with the same laptop - and they did a BIOS upgrade. I did same, but saw the same error message as the first time around.
I then decided to move to Vista as a clean install - this worked beautifully, although there were a few irritations;
- No wireless networking out of the box - I had to use a cable to connect to my router - but the windows vista update picked up a new driver for my network card, and whammo - worked perfectly.
- No support for the old virus checker I had installed.
On the upside, Vista saved my 'documents and settings', 'windows' and 'program files' directories from XP (and moved them to windows.old), which at least allowed me to see what I had installed previously. I'm not sure if I'm looking in the right place, but I can't seem to find my Firefox 2 bookmarks. Apparently they should be located here.
Otherwise, it's running fine - I have yet to see how all the power management options that Joel Sposky was talking about here.
I tried the upgrade path a couple of times, once just straight out of the box - which failed miserably. Taking about 90 minutes and getting to around 80% completed before rolling back to XP. Thankfully, XP seemed to be working fine after the rollback.
I searched around, found a site where they reviewed their experiences with the same laptop - and they did a BIOS upgrade. I did same, but saw the same error message as the first time around.
I then decided to move to Vista as a clean install - this worked beautifully, although there were a few irritations;
- No wireless networking out of the box - I had to use a cable to connect to my router - but the windows vista update picked up a new driver for my network card, and whammo - worked perfectly.
- No support for the old virus checker I had installed.
On the upside, Vista saved my 'documents and settings', 'windows' and 'program files' directories from XP (and moved them to windows.old), which at least allowed me to see what I had installed previously. I'm not sure if I'm looking in the right place, but I can't seem to find my Firefox 2 bookmarks. Apparently they should be located here.
Otherwise, it's running fine - I have yet to see how all the power management options that Joel Sposky was talking about here.

No comments:
Post a Comment