Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Linux Installation-o-rama!

Ok - Here is the deal:

In order to try and learn something, and get some productive use out of the time I'm back in the office, I've decided that I'll do some Linux Installations. Now, I've had Debian (potato, around 2002) on my old dual boot laptop, but haven't played with Linux for quite some time.

I've got 3 flavours of Linux lined up:
  1. Fedora
  2. Ubuntu
  3. Red Hat
I (fortunately!) stumbled upon the fact that the company I work for is now an official Red Hat partner, and seeing as we are also and IBM partner, I thought I'd get a hold of the software and see what is going on. This should be lobbing onto my desk tomorrow. I imagine that it's not going to be too dissimilar from Fedora.

So far, I've installed Fedora Core 4 (FC4), thought that it wasn't working (it was!), and blasted over the top of it with the slightly older Fedora Core 3 (FC3). This showed the same behaviour as FC4, but it did end up working. I'm not too phased, because I would have had to uninstall JDK and Eclipse which ships with FC4 - there is a problem which stops you from saving files (!) in Eclipse.

I'm in the middle of the Ubuntu installation, and it's all going pretty smoothly so far. Further updates as required.

No comments: