Sunday, October 22, 2006

Windows Vista Upgrade

Ok - here is the skinny. I decided to upgrade to Vista RC 1, and see what all the fuss is about. I did it on the home pc that we bought a couple of months ago. I have to say, I wasn't particularly hopeful, and spent some time checking I had downloaded installs of our most used applications.



I chose to upgrade from XP SP2 in place, with the fall back position being a clean install - but surprisingly, it all went really well. It started about 11:45am, and didn't finish until about 2pm. The major loss was my McAfee virus scanner, but was replaced with the Trend Micro product (which is a beta for the Vista beta!). Although, during the installation I did see a BSOD, the machine rebooted, and Trend Micro did it's thing. All worked well.



First major check was iTunes (7.0.1), and this performed fantastically. Like for like functionality, no problems with the existing music - although I have yet to connect to ITMS and download anything.



I also activated the Vista download, and that went through fine - I was slightly concerned after the problems we had with trying to activate the XP which was installed at purchase.



Anyway, I'm giving it the thumbs up - And Rach did to, which is a much bigger tick in my book - While I'm normally not too bothered by stuff not working perfectly, or things crashing every now and then (I'm looking at you FireFox 1.5), everything seems to be working great.





Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows: Windows Vista Release Candidate 1 Review, Part 3: Upgrading from Windows XP



Oh - a minor thing - The machine's built in video card is not capable of enabling the funky Aero style interface, which is touted as the big improvement in Vista - I might have to nick a donor card from the old machine we have floating around here, and see whether that video card has the grunt required.







powered by performancing firefox

No comments: