Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Public Transport

I'm a big advocate for public transport - I spend a lot of time lurking at the railpage forums learning about how the system can be improved - It's amazing the cars that I see in the carpark since the price of petrol has gone up through $1.30 per litre - Brand new BMW's, Integra's, Calais, all kinds of brand spanking new cars.

I really hope that the line that I'm living on has some services added to it - we are in desperate need - I'm only 3 stops from the end of the line, and the trains to the city are near on full by the time they get to my stop - and are standing room only about 3 stops later. We are still in school holidays, so there is a bit of easing of the pressure , but it still makes sense to add some services

This never happened when the price of petrol was around $.80 per litre - It looks like we are entering another oil crisis, just like in the 70's - when Holden released their ill advised 4 cylinder commodore. That became a museum piece!

I've heard that there will be a new timetable released around the 8th of October, and there are to be a few more 3-car Siemens services running on the northern group lines. Unfortunately that means that less Siemens 6-car sets will be available to the caulfield group lines. We will be getting more Comeng trains, but what can you do?

No comments: