Wednesday, October 19, 2005

People...

How long between talking to people does it have to be to still
consider them friends? There are quite a few people that I haven't
spoken to for a few months, but I still consider them friends. Maybe
they are more like acquaintences?

Anyway, I've been suffering from bad stomach cramps - it might be time
to go and see the doctor. It has happened a couple of times after
I've had jester pies - mind you, the pies are really really good -
nice crispy pastry, and the fillings are amazing - real meat chunks in
the meat pies, as opposed to lips and assholes in a standard meat pie.

At work I'm on the timesheet bandwagon now, we have to fill out 2 lots
of timesheets - at least the ones we do for our employers are fairly
straightforward - as far as they are concerned, I'm working on one
project - it's just the client ones which are down to the half hour.
At least I've managed to get into the swing of logging stuff on a half
hourly basis, which I've been doing for the past month or so.

The useless programmer has gone on holidays for 3 weeks, so fingers
crossed we will have the actual coding mostly done. He can do his
head in when he tries to actually run his tests that he's written. We
went through his data dictionary, which was 120 pages - for about 15
tables. It's a bit much. We culled it down to around 100, but it
does seem that it was a pretty hardcore enterprise. Personally, I
would have just had a table with a couple of fields for each table -
Field Name, Type, Description, Example Values. And a paragraph blurb
about what the table actually represents. Easy - and only 15 pages.
That together with the data model, and you should be able to
understand what's happening with all of the information in the data
model.

It looks like I've been bumped off the 'Lead Developer' role, which is
a bit of a downer - A new staff member was hired, so he's taken on a
lot of those tasks - which is fine by me, but unfortunately I will
have to stand by the quality of the code that I've written. Damn.
That being said, I did learn a lot while I was in that project role,
and certainly as far as the office knows, that's what I'm doing. I am
planning on spending some time over Christmas to re-read the Java 2
certification book, and get the Support Centre to book the exam - that
will allow me to apply for SC roles at other places - and get myself a
20-30k pay rise.

Argh - here come the cramps again.

No comments: